Darin Langerud, Director of ARB
Darin Langerud, Division Director
The Atmospheric Resource Board (ARB) is a quasi-judicial, quasi-legislative advisory and rule-making board under the supervision of the State Water Commission. ARB is co-located with the Department of Water Resources and functions as one of its divisions.
The ARB is comprised of ten members: seven are appointed by the Governor, with ex-officio members including the Director of the Department of Water Resources, the Director of the State Aeronautics Commission, and a representative of the Department of Environmental Quality.
The primary functions of the ARB are to:
- Carry out administrative procedures required for the licensing of weather modification contractors and the permitting of cloud seeding operations and research activities;
- Develop and maintain a system for the collection of data and records of all operational weather modification activities;
- Conduct research into atmospheric precipitation processes to assess and improve the effectiveness of cloud seeding technology;
- Promulgate rules and regulations governing cloud seeding activities to ensure environmental and public safety;
- Monitor and evaluate cloud seeding activities and report back to sponsoring entities; and
- Monitor, collect, and disseminate accurate precipitation and climate data.
The Atmospheric Resource Division can be contacted by e-mail, or at (701) 328-2788.