The Atmospheric Resource Board (ARB) is a quasi-judicial, quasi-legislative advisory and rule-making board under the supervision of the Water Commission. ARB is co-located with the Water Commission and functions as one of its divisions. The primary functions of the ARB are to:
- Carry out administrative procedures required for the licensing of weather modification contractors and the permitting of cloud seeding operations and research activities;
- Develop and maintain a system for the collection of data and records of all operational weather modification activities;
- Conduct research into atmospheric precipitation processes to assess and improve the effectiveness of cloud seeding technology;
- Promulgate rules and regulations governing cloud seeding activities to ensure environmental and public safety;
- Monitor and evaluate cloud seeding activities and report back to sponsoring entities; and
- Monitor, collect, and disseminate accurate precipitation and climate data.
- Educate and provide information regarding the atmosphere and atmospheric processes.